Following up on last week’s Guide to Good Health, I thought I’d mention another new study out this month highlighting the importance of good ole vitamin D, especially for young girls.
A research team from England measured vitamin D levels in 99 girls between the ages 12 and 14. Turns out that almost 75 percent of the young girls were deficient in vitamin D. The remaining 25 percent had adequate levels.
The researchers then put all the girls through a series of tests to measure their muscle strength and stamina. Not surprisingly, the girls with low vitamin D performed badly on the tests. On the other hand, the girls getting enough vitamin D did great. They demonstrated significantly greater muscle strength and stamina than their counterparts.
Just imagine the next 50 years for these young girls, already vitamin D deficient, already physically impaired. It’s not hard to connect the dots and see how a lifetime of deficiency can lead to major problems.
If you have a young girl in the family, do her a favor…make sure she spends 30 minutes a day in the sun (without sunblock). She’ll get 10,000 IUs of vitamin D from it. Plus, she’ll certainly have more natural “girl power”!