There’s quite a buzz going around these days about adaptogens. Seems everyone is talking about adaptogens, or which herbs have adaptogenic properties, or which nutrients are the right adaptogens for you.
But no one seems to be explaining exactly what adaptogens are and why they’re so important. It’s easy for all the good advice about adaptogens to become nothing but noise. Yet, adaptogens are really important.
So here’s what you need to know about adaptogens…
What Is an Adaptogen?
Much of the modern research into adaptogens has been performed by Dr. Israel I. Brekhman, who defines adaptogens as “plants which increase the body’s nonspecific resistance; that is, they provide valuable support to the human body in coping with the pressures placed on a wide range of its functions by both the internal and external environments.”
So let’s break it down. An adaptogen is
- A plant or plant extract
- That supports the body’s natural systems
- And its ability to handle stress
- From internal and external sources
Some common adaptogens are:
- Panax ginseng – a perennial grown in China, Korea, Japan, and Russia; it should not be confused with American ginseng or Siberian ginseng
- Licorice root – yes, that licorice, the one you are familiar with in candy flavorings, has a long history of traditional use in helping combat stress
- Rhodiola rosea – is found mostly in the Arctic regions of Europe, Asia, and Alaska. References to rhodiola in medical notes go back as far as the first century Greece
- Eleutherococcus senticosus – is sometimes referred to as Siberian ginseng, even though it has entirely different chemical components; also known as eleuthero
- Schizandra chinensis – has been used for healing and medicinal purposes for over 2000 years. This flowering plant is native to parts of China and eastern Russia
- Ashwagandha – is considered one of the most important herbs in ancient and traditional medicine. The roots and berries are commonly used in the creation of supplements.
3 Reasons to Take an Adaptogen
- Stress and the Fight-or-Flight Response: Since stress levels can be an indicator of overall health – and high stress levels can contribute to making us sick – supporting our body’s response to the natural stress reaction is one of the best preventative steps we can take to ensure we stay healthy.By now, you’re probably familiar with the fight-or-flight response. It’s when we are faced with a stressful situation and our adrenal glands flood our bodies with the adrenaline necessary to either fight our way out of it, or escape the situation (flight). This is a natural, biological response, and we can’t keep it from happening. Unfortunately, our bodies don’t recognize the difference between the stress caused by a one-time, life-or-death emergency, or a grueling commute we have to take to work every morning.While our bodies are designed to respond to the emergency with action, and then relax once the emergency has passed, the daily stressors don’t go away – our bodies never get to the relaxed stage. If we stay in this heightened level of stress for long, our immune systems start to weaken and our bodies stop working efficiently. It’s simply exhausting!While we may not be able to prevent the fight-or-flight response from kicking in, we can help regulate how our bodies respond to it. And this is where adaptogens come in. An adaptogen works in two ways: by moderating the adrenaline rush and by supporting the relaxation or recovery stage. In other words, you get less adrenaline flooding your body, and it recovers more efficiently once the stress has passed.
- Free Radicals and the Antioxidant Effect: You hear a lot about free radicals and the damage they can do to our bodies. Free radicals impact the body by throwing it out of balance, making it unable to resist their damaging effects. Antioxidants, like adaptogens, help the body respond appropriately, boosting the body’s natural ability to fight off free radicals, and may even prevent free radicals from causing as much damage.
- Oxidative Stress and the Antioxidant Effect: But what about the damage that free radicals may have already caused? This damage is known as oxidative stress, and it can make you feel sick or tired, and age you prematurely. But adaptogens can help there, too. When our bodies are healthy, they have the ability to respond to oxidative stress. Adaptogens act as antioxidants and support the body’s natural ability to respond in a healthy way to the very unhealthy oxidative stress – helping you feel better, look younger, and have more energy.
These 3 physical responses are your body’s way of responding to the world around us. There’s only so much you can do to prevent these reactions – but they can still leave you tired, unmotivated, and grumpy.
How Do You Choose Which Adaptogen to Take?
All of these complaints –low energy levels, being tired all the time, lack of motivation, moodiness – these are all symptoms of adrenal fatigue, and oxidative stress, both of which are brought on by the body’s weakened ability to handle stress. Adaptogens can help your body handle adrenal fatigue and oxidative stress if that is what you’re dealing with.
So how do you decide where to find adaptogens and which ones are right for you?
You can scour the internet and get a dozen different opinions about a dozen different adaptogens. You can ask your doctor, and hope he’s one who doesn’t scoff at you for wanting to try a natural alternative. Or, you can try NorthStar Nutritionals’ adrenal support supplement formula, Peak Adrenal X6.
Peak Adrenal X6 Supplement: Packed with Premium Adaptogens
With 4 different powerful adaptogens, Peak Adrenal X6 takes the guesswork out of it. Siberian ginseng, ashwagandha, schizandra berry, and licorice root are some of the most trusted adaptogens available – and Peak Adrenal X6 contains all of them, in the optimal amounts. Wouldn’t you love to be rid of the…
- stiff joints
- occasional headaches
- muscle weakness
- trouble sleeping…
- brain fog…
…that caused you to start looking for answers in the first place? Peak Adrenal X6 has the adaptogens you need to help you feel better, have more energy, and be more productive throughout your day.
No more falling asleep in the afternoons, but not being able to sleep at night. No more procrastinating or lack of motivation. No more feeling grumpy for no apparent reason. No more being told by your doctor you’re fine when you feel a bit off. Just the energy and the can-do attitude that comes from being at your healthy, physical peak.
To learn more, or to order your first bottles of Peak Adrenal X6 today, click here. And when you order today, you’ll save 25% on your first order. Just add promo code W650Q5ZC at check out and watch the savings add up!
Adding adaptogens to your daily routine is a smart move. Taking Peak Adrenal X6 supplements makes that smart move easy.
*Discount applies to first order or first ADS shipment only. Cannot be combined with any other discounts.