Belly fat has a reputation for being some of the hardest to lose – which is even more frustrating because it’s also some of the most detrimental to your health.
Quick Techniques that Equal Long-Term Results
Like any other health goal, shrinking your stomach is going to take a little time. That doesn’t mean it has to be hard, though.
1. Start the day with protein. Every morning, you have an opportunity to shrink your stomach. Make the right choices at breakfast. Instead of only reaching for whole grains or fruit, make sure you load up on protein, as well. It revs up your metabolism and gives you long-lasting energy so you don’t reach for belly busters like sugars or refined carbs later in the day.
2. And recharge with protein about 3:00 pm. Protein also helps control blood sugar, which helps control insulin. This is important because high levels of insulin are what causes your body to store belly fat. Most people go too long between lunch and dinner without protein to prevent this cycle from beginning. Have a small protein snack – a slice of cheese, or a handful of nuts – about three o’clock every afternoon and you’ll shrink your stomach.
3. Try boxing. When it comes to shrinking your stomach, punches are more effective than crunches. First, you’ll work up a sweat, so it’s aerobic, which means you’re burning fat everywhere, including your stomach. But it’s also anaerobic, so you’re toning and tightening muscles, and not just in your arms. When you punch, you use your entire core as you twist and lunge. By making this one change to your exercise routine, you could lose up to two inches from your waistline. You don’t even have to join a gym or have a sparring partner. “Shadow” boxing is enough. Just be sure to ask your doctor before adding anything to your workout.
4. Stick to whole grains. People who forgo refined flour for whole grains lose more abdominal fat. It’s that simple. Just remember portion control. You can overeat the healthy stuff, too!
5. Get some sleep. Staying active isn’t the only way to shrink your stomach. Sleep is just as important. The less sleep a person gets, the higher their levels of cortisone, the stress hormone.
High levels of cortisone have been linked to weight gain. And not just any weight gain. Weight gain around the stomach. But you can lower your levels of cortisone and shrink your stomach by getting enough rest. Aim for seven to eight hours per night for best results.
Quick Techniques That Show IMMEDIATE Results
Sometimes, though, you don’t need your stomach to actually be smaller. It’s enough for it to look like it is. In those times, try these…
6. Replace your nightly low-carb beer or wine with lemon water. Many people cut back on the amount of water they drink because they think water causes water retention. The truth is the exact opposite. Being hydrated prevents water retention. And since lemon is a natural diuretic, you’re even less likely to retain water. All of which works together to help you shrink your stomach fast.
7. Swap your salt. Speaking of water retention, salt’s your culprit, not H2O. However, you don’t have to cut out salt completely to shrink your stomach. Use natural sea salt or kosher salt instead of regular table salt. Both taste like the salt you’re used to, but have lower sodium teaspoon per teaspoon than traditional table salt.
8. Walk after dinner. Sure, the added activity will help you lose weight, and that’s always a good thing. But a quick, ten minute walk after dinner will help you shrink your stomach in another way, too. That ten minute walk is enough to help your digestive system perform more effectively than just slumping on the couch. The walk moves your food through faster, so you have less gas and bloating – which equals a smaller stomach!
9. Stand up straight. No, this doesn’t actually shrink your stomach, but you can look up to five pounds thinner just by adjusting your posture. Lift your head, straighten your shoulders, and pull in your core muscles. Not only will you look good, you’ll feel good, too.
10. Take a bath. An Epsom salt bath can help shrink your stomach quickly because they help draw all the water from your body. This helps with bloating and water retention, so you look smaller. Add two cups of Epsom salts to your bath and soak for at least twenty minutes. One word of warning, though – don’t do this daily. You should only take an Epsom salt bath once a week, at the most. If you really want to look your best for a specific event, indulge a day or two beforehand.
You can shrink your stomach without spending hours doing crunches or sticking to a restrictive diet.
Be smart. Be healthy.
And work these ten techniques into your routine. Your waistline will thank you.