But every now and then, it’s important to check and make sure you aren’t missing anything – like selenium.
Because the health benefits of selenium are too often overlooked – but shouldn’t be!
The health benefits of selenium are simply too important and too extensive, for more people not to know about them.
Which is why we wanted to make sure you were aware of just how beneficial selenium can be…
What, Where, How Much…
Before we get to why you should be taking selenium, let’s start with what it is, where you can find it, and how much is the right amount.
Selenium is a trace element that is essential to human health. And while the body doesn’t produce selenium naturally, it is found in many common foods.
You can find selenium in Brazil nuts, tuna, turkey, even cottage cheese, among many other foods. And as the health benefits of selenium are coming to be understood further, it’s being included in multivitamins, as well.
A person’s need for selenium increases the older they get, but by age 14, everyone should be getting 55 mcg of selenium every day in order to maximize its health benefits.
Which brings us to why you should make sure you’re getting enough selenium. Try these health benefits -
1. Antioxidant power. There’s no such thing as too many antioxidants. They’re your body’s first line of defense against illness, premature aging, and systemic breakdown caused by free radicals. Which is why selenium is vital to your overall health. Not only does it act as an antioxidant in its own right, but it stimulates the creation of even more antioxidants. Consider selenium the 2 for 1 antioxidant jackpot.
2. Thyroid health. Part of the thyroid’s job is to produce hormones that help regulate metabolism. And the thyroid requires the right amount of selenium in order to produce those hormones. In other words, a health benefit of selenium is that it allows your thyroid to function properly.
3. Supports a healthy immune system. Anything that helps keep you healthy, naturally, is a good thing – and selenium falls in that category. Selenium helps strengthen the antibodies that help your system fight off infection and provide a healthy immune response. Between the antioxidant power and the immunity support, better overall heath becomes a health benefit of selenium!
4. Supports a healthy inflammatory response. Speaking of healthy responses, when your body triggers an unhealthy inflammatory response, the dominos can fall, creating all kinds of physical and medical conditions. But that doesn’t mean that every inflammatory response is bad. In fact, you often want a healthy inflammatory response, because it’s how your body helps heal itself. And that’s where selenium comes in. Selenium promotes a healthy inflammatory response, providing protection rather than damage.
5. Healthy heart. So many of the health benefits of selenium apply to heart health. First, selenium keeps circulation flowing to help maintain overall cardiovascular health. But it’s also been linked to healthy cholesterol numbers, specifically keeping LDL cholesterol, or “bad” cholesterolwithin an appropriate range.
6. Cell protection. Most people don’t think about cell protection, but strong cell walls are essential to, and the very definition of, good health. This gets a little complicated, but bear with us: when your cells come under attack from chemicals we’re exposed to in daily life, they need help staying strong. That help comes in the form of selenoproteins. And selenium is a building block in the formation of those selenoproteins. Think of it this way – if a wall is made of bricks that are made of clay, your cell walls are made up of selenoproteins that are made of selenium!
7. Prostate and bladder heath. As men age, you know that protecting your prostate and bladder health can go a long way to protecting your overall health. And selenium has been linked to prostate and bladder health. So much so that in a study of more than 30,000 men, the ones with highest selenium levels had the healthiest prostates. Which is why we included selenium in ProTeva Plus, our prostate support supplement, so you can get all the nutrients you need to live your healthiest, most comfortable life.
The health benefits of selenium are undeniable. And the more researchers learn about this powerful element, the more health benefits we’re sure to discover.
The good news is selenium is readily available in food and supplement form. So start taking selenium now, and reap its health benefits starting today!